Availability – 100% leased
Completed in 1937, this historic edifice began life in the mid 1940’s as the “Home of Army Medicine.” Named after Brigadier General Roger Brooke, M.D., Brooke Army Medical Center housed the base hospital, medical units and extensive medical training facilities until 1996, when the new Brooke Army Medical Center was opened at the southeast corner of the Post. Built in the Spanish Baroque (or Renaissance) architectural style and located at the head of the parade grounds, Old BAMC is the focal point of the Post. Standing seven stories tall and containing 210,000 square feet of rentable space, the building features materials and architectural details which cannot be economically reproduced today. Old BAMC is now 100% leased to the United States Army South and the Department of Defense’s Pharmacoeconomic Center.
The redevelopment of Old BAMC was completed with a streamlined construction process that allowed delivery within 10 months of starting at competitive private sector costs, and entailed:
- Taking the interior back to its concrete shell and installing all new systems (heating, ventilation, air conditioning, electrical wiring, lighting, fire sprinklers, etc.)
- Retaining and incorporating interesting historic elements of the building. For example, the original windows were retained, reglazed where necessary, and the frames repainted to their original, black color. For energy efficiency, a low-E glass inner unit was installed in each window.
- The exterior was cleaned, sealed and restored to its original condition.
- The concrete drives were refurbished as needed and new landscaping was installed in accordance with the Post’s Master Landscape Plan.
- The building and grounds were modified to meet modern building codes (i.e. fire, life safety, ADA accessibility, hazardous materials, etc.).
- The building incorporates force protection requirements, including blast-resistant glass and a perimeter barricade fence to prevent vehicle intrusion into the sensitive setback areas.
Once completed, Old BAMC provided its occupants with a mix of unique benefits:
- State-of-the-art systems and equipment
- Beautiful and unique architecture
- The protection of being on a secured military base
- Assured optimal force protection
- Finishes to first-class private sector standards